Friday, June 2, 2023

PA Memorial Day Ride: Enola Low Grade Rail Trail

 Enola Low Grade Rail Trail: Red Hill to Turkey Hill, Out & Back 20 miles

My "backyard rail-trail" the Enola Low Grade is only minutes from my  home across the river and thus I am biased when I say that it may be one of the best rail trails in the region. Gloating aside, I took my first-of-the-year bike ride on Memorial Day morning in May which is probably the latest start I've ever had to my biking season. Sounds like a good reason to extend my winter riding to make up for lost miles and days this spring.


The deck is decked out on the Safe Harbor Trestle

Like banners and flags put out for the holiday, there are symbols of late spring and the start of summer all along the trail, but you have to stop now and then to find and enjoy them. I took four walking breaks over twenty miles just to look for nature's sign that summer is upon us. Eagles were everywhere, of course, as were Osprey and Great Blue Herons. The frequent release sirens from the Safe Harbor Dam drew birds up and down river to the bubbling waters in expectation of fish. 


Human and avian fishers were hanging close to the dam

Mountain Laurel near the Turkey Hil Trailhead

Wild Carrot in the brushy edges

Greybeard and Mustard near Shenks Ferry Wildflower Preserve 

Tulip Poplar blossom 

By the time I'd reached the Turkey Hill trailhead I noticed a huge increase in visitors to the trail. People walking, jogging, biking, birding, railroad history buffs, sight-seers, and many Mennonite and Amish families pulling picnic coolers on wagons crowded the trail. My friend John was out on his e-bike helping people spot eagles and landmarks on the river. I just missed the only snake of the day as a father and daughter backpacking the entire trail for the weekend (35 miles) had only then just assisted a beautiful Milk Snake into the woods out of harm's way. "It was gorgeous!" said the twelve-year old hiker, carrying full kit for the first time but looking very proud of herself for the effort.



What happened here?




A family of ten occupied an entire picnic table near a bent and braced overhead tower beam and were roaring with laughter as each came up with a silly tale for "What Happened Here?"  The eldest son took home the prize with his hilarious tale of a giant ox racing an engine and crashing into the beam when he turned to look back at the engine behind him. Clearly this maneuver cost the ox the race! 


Highview, Round Top, Wrightsville Bridge line up behind the Conejohela Flats islands

Pequea Creek from Martoic Trestle


Mid-morning the tempertaures were rising along with the number of people on the trail. I biked east over the Martic Trestle where the crowds were smaller but the dust was up. My face and legs were covered in the limestone dust that rose in swirls behind every rider. At my end point, also my starting point, at Red Hill Road everything was caked in white stonedust, me and my bike!


Notes:

Susquehanna Greenway Partnership on the Enola Low Grade Trail


No comments:

Post a Comment