Saturday, August 13, 2022

PA Laurel Highlands: Linn Run State Park and A Happy Repair

 2022 52-Hike Challenge #21 (3 miles) Linn Run State Park

Next stop: Town and Country Motors for brake repair


You know the saying "Man plans, God laughs." It's true. But if you laugh along you are often granted surprises that you couldn't possibly have planned for. Don't let a bad brake get in the way of making new friends.

 

Conservation landscapes of Pennsylvania

I started out to hike a five mile loop in Linn Run State Park, a beautiful gem embedded in Forbes State Forest. The forest itself is embedded in the beautiful Laurel Highlands. With seven large regional conservation landscapes that include where I work in the Susquehanna Riverlands, these large regions have a lot to explore. Conservation landscapes are designated as high value natural areas with existing or potential infrastructure for green industry/eco-recreational businesses that support local economies. There are hundreds of outdoor opportunities, scenic working lands, state and national parks, state and national forests, and communities that benefit from Pennsylvania's vibrant wildlands. 


Linn Run trickling through - the hottest, driest part of summer


The heat and humidity were, again, an issue for my long-suffering coonhound, Amos. Keep in mind that the inherent nature of this breed is to sleep in cool, shady places all summer long and go for night walks after midnight. At least that's what all of my black and tan coonies have done for the past twenty years. I should not have been surprised that by mile three Amos laid down in the trail and went to sleep. This, after sipping long, leisurely drinks from the trickle that was Linn Run, and digging multiple hollows into the cool leafy duff to snuffle in and test for fit.  Fall, winter, and early spring are really his hiking time so I had to reset my mileage goals for the day. Honestly though, I had to sit in one of his nests to cool off and it was quite comfy! 


"Fossil" ripple marks in Linn Run sandstone from a shallow seabed


No swimmers today - low water.

He laid down in the shallow pools at Flat Rock and again in the tiny stream that dripped into Adams Falls. He snuffled through ferns and sat contentedly in a muddy hollow on the trail. He flopped over on his side to enjoy the coolness of the restroom's cement pad. Well, I thought, if it's just three miles today, we'd had a blast exploring the beautiful ravines, hunting for mushrooms, and lying about on sandstone ledges. Together we sauntered back to the truck. 


Old Man of the Woods

Yellow Coral 

I decided to drive higher up the mountain and maybe visit the Spruce Flats Bog but as we climbed a certain rotational noise began to emanate from the front right wheel. Drat! A brake pad was shot. Double drat! There was a sound of metal against metal. Not good. I met up with a forestry crew and asked about finding a repair shop. They suggested a small Ford dealership in Ligonier just a few miles away. Off we went, Amos snoring in the backseat and me stressing about the cost of rotors and pads. Withing twenty minutes I was parked at the dealership.


Amanita-eye view from one of Amos' nests


Adams Falls in its summertime trickle mode

I walked up to the service window and was met by the nicest mechanic team. I explained my situation and what I thought was the problem. They showed me their long list of repair tickets for the day and said "Do you live nearby?" and I said no. I live four hours away. I started to feel a little sick. 


Dry stream bed trying to feed a waterfall


But then the service writer leaned over the counter and saw Amos. "You guys! A coonhound!"  Then he saw my Hadrian's Wall t-shirt. "You've walked Hadrian's Wall Path? So have I!" I completely forgot about my truck troubles. Amos was getting all kinds of hugs and scratches and I'd found a fellow long distance hiker to swap stories with. "You know, you never encounter the true nature of human kindness until you walk a landscape," said the mechanic. "People are incredible. Everyone needs to go for a long walk. It will change your perspective on humanity." 


Amos loving the cool shop floor


Next thing I knew the truck was taken out for a drive then put right up on the lift. A mechanic called over to Amos, "It won't take long buddy!" The cashier kissed Amos' ears as another mechanic pulled the truck tire. "Don't worry Amos, you'll be on the road in no time!" The store manager showed me to the waiting area and invited Amos to sit on the cool leather couch which of course he loved. Within the hour I had my truck repaired and the bill was not all that bad. But Amos wouldn't leave! He was loving all the attention, especially the air conditioning and it was another half hour before I convinced him it was time to go. He made a lot of new friends that day. 



No comments:

Post a Comment