Friday, December 30, 2022

PA Kelly's Run: Turn Around, Don't Fall Down

 #50 2022 52-Hike Challenge: Kelly's Run Nature Preserve: Alternate Loop/ 2.5 mi

Last week's flash freeze certainly did a number on some of our local trails, so much so that even in 50-degree weather hiking the deeper ravine trails can be treacherous.  I've tried this loop six times in winter over the years and only twice have I actually completed all four miles around, both times wearing micro-spikes. All the other times I simply turned around when I encountered dangerous ice and did alternate trails rather than risk a bad fall. Today was one of those turn around days. It was also a bad fall day.


No matter how bright and sunny up top, prepare for ice below.


Conestoga Trail pole

The main section of the Kellys Run loop trail  is also a section of the Conestoga Trail, so hikers will see both orange and blue blazes as they go from the bright sunny meadow on top of the hill into the shadow-filled and cold ravine below.  I knew there was a good chance that I would encounter dangerous ice, so I planned ahead of time to backtrack and loop around on the red blazed connector trail and return through the warm, sunny woods. But even before the descent began, the trail was icy-covered or deep mud. 


Frozen trail 

We wandered down the hill past charcoal hearths and across slab-rock slopes, through mature Chestnut Oak forest and down into the dense rhododendron. Amos was picking his way carefully and a few times he whined with concern. Listen to the dog. He's done this trail enough in winter to know what comes next and he seemed hesitant to begin the steep descent towards the stream.  He does not like ice. 


Common Haircap Moss, Polytrichum commune

As we neared the first stream crossing, crowded in by a narrow trail against a massive rock wall, we stood aside as a large hiking group of 15-20 people passed us coming up from the ravine. They all looked a little weary.  Several folks stopped to pet Amos and ask about the trail further up. I told them that for the most part it was clear of ice and they seemed relieved. Just then I heard the trip leader call "Turn around!" and people looked a little confused. As he came past me again on his return, I told the trip leader about the red blazed connector on the hill that leads to the old Holtwood Road section. I said that if he needed a safer way to loop around without having to do the icy ravine twice, it might only add a mile and a half to their loop from the Pinnacle where they were parked.  He assured me he knew all about the trails here and soon the group was headed back into the ravine.  Amos and I followed very slowly down into the high-walled canyon behind the big group. I had a bad feeling about this. 


Traffic jam as an injured hiker is tended to 

Sure enough, the whole group came to a stop at the first treacherous crossing as a hiker had fallen hard and hurt her ankle and leg.  Amos and I lingered in the creek - me studying moss and he taking a refreshing drink. The  group stood around as the trip leader assessed the situation and the injury. I asked the folks in the back of the group if I could help in anyway  as I carry a full kit with elastic wraps and a wire mesh splint, but they thought everything was being taken care of. That was my turn around. 


Heading back up

The thing about these ravine trails is when they become ice covered they tend to stay that way even through warm stretches. The ice melts a little during the day then refreezes and glazes over at night. The ravine is always shady and cold. Leaves and mud soon cover the icy sections and this tricks the unwary hiker into thinking the trail is solid and safe. Even when the stream is running ice-free, the trail can be tricky, especially steps and inclines that are muddy and skim-iced.  Other people came up from the ravine having passed the large group still in the ravine. They said the further down the worse it was getting as the daylight was waning, and that the injured hiker was still being treated. 


Happy Amos on a warm, ice-free trail

I hate second guessing any group leader but as I hiked back up the steep rocky pitch to the red blazed connector trail (and the warm dry woods) my "situation debrief mode" went into full drive. If a safer alternative to a dangerous section of trail is available, even if it adds a mile or two - or an hour or two - to the hike, wouldn't that have been the wiser thing to do? There should always be an emergency bail out or alternative trail on any hike and more than just the leader should know about it. In addition, if a sudden change in plans like "Turn around!" is called, it should be the decision of a leadership team to make, not just one person's decision, especially for such a large group.


Orange and Blue

We arrived back at the parking area safe and sound but I had to turn my brain off as I was going through so many scenarios in my head that I completely forgot to enjoy the trail as Amos had enjoyed it - warm and dry and peaceful.  He was soon fast asleep on the back seat without a care in the world. I hope the injured hiker is okay and that the group was able to navigate again the treacherous ravine trail and return safely.


Notes:

Kellys Run Nature Preserve is popular and beautiful any time of year, but needs to be given an extra ounce of caution when hiking the ravine section in winter or in flood/high water. Plan for alternatives or turn arounds in icy conditions!  https://www.lancasterconservancy.org/preserves/kellys-run/


No comments:

Post a Comment