Tuesday, April 28, 2020

PA Game Lands Wander 2

Back out to the game lands for another wandering, looking for sun, exercise, and inspiration. I've lost track of what week it is - for that matter what day it is - but I have enough work to do at my computer that it all runs together anyway, pandemic or not. The local TV weatherperson reminded us four times this week that we've only had five days of full sun for all of April so far. It has been rather dreary, but today offered a nice mix of sun and clouds with morning rain cleared by noon. Off we went to hunt the sun.

Hoping for a break in the clouds on the way to the game lands.

By April all those young beech trees that have been holding on to their paper-thin leaves all winter have let them go as new leaf buds form. The woods looked lighter and greener than ever. Shadbush was still blooming. Wild phlox blossomed along the access road.

Woods road to the bluff

Amos had been very antsy with all the rainy weather so this hike was for him. He snuffled through
every bunch of grass and pile of leaves. He stood with his nose in the air to pull in every scent. He investigated every animal trail that intersected the old road. The road was muddy in spots while  standing puddles filled ruts in other places, but the animal tracks were great. He checked out each and every line, print by print.


At the bluff overlooking the Susquehanna River.

We came to the bluffs that are dramatically visible from the Norman Wood Bridge driving east into Lancaster County. From the bridge you can see the severe tilt of bedrock telling of continental collisions and the raising of mountains further inland. From on top, the view into York County is almost obscured now with the woods finally leafing out. It is a very long way down from here.


Dead Nettle in a clearing


Triple track - White Tailed Deer, Turkey, Skunk

There is a little-used trail that I like to find before the the overgrowth blocks the way but this time I found that it has been well used of late! Seems others have discovered that this game lands tract makes for a nice walk in the woods. I spotted a small patch of trillium and trout lily on the steep pitch many yards away on the slope. The trail slips down to the head of a ravine creek on its way to tumble over the bluff.


Upper reach of a ravine creek.

We were investigating the boggy, mossy hollow when something grunted and squawked higher up the woods. Amos about yanked me off my feet as he pulled up the trail to discover the noise-maker. We never found the source of the sound but his nose was higher than his tail when he reached the gravel road on the far side of the tract. We stood and waited - he sniffed the air and I peered all around. Nothing.

Trillium

While I stood waiting for Amos to do something - I noticed a bunch of trillium almost at my feet.  I don't think I would have seen them had he not stopped at this exact spot. Since this was his hike I let him stand there as long as he wanted while I admired the flowers. After about twenty minutes he was positive that the beasty thing had long vacated the hill.

Successful sun hunt!

The sun shone brightly through a break in a low grey cloud deck and I congratulated Amos on having successfully hunted the sun. He had no idea what I was saying, I'm sure, but he did look immensely proud of himself and pranced up the road to the car where he knew he'd get a treat for such a nice hike.

No comments:

Post a Comment